Above: Select the required shipbuilder by using initial letter of the surname eg: Armstrong, Palmer or Readhead.
Shipbuilder: Brigham & Cowan, South Shields (1876 - 1982) Above advert for Brigham & Cowan Ltd is copyright of Tyne and Wear Museums
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D means basic dimensions are shown; H means a history is given; P means one or more photographs are available)
The firm of Brigham & Cowan was established in 1876 by Thomas Brigham and Malcolm Cowan.
In 1900 it was incorporated as a limited liability company as Brigham & Cowan Ltd.
It then became a private company in 1908 but returned to public ownership again in 1953.
In 1924 the company acquired the shipyard of Hepple Ltd, located beside the Brigham & Cowan premises in South Shields and used the land to extend their drydocks.
Brigham & Cowan built an extensive shiprepair business with 3 drydocks at South Shields.
In 1977 Brigham & Cowan Ltd was nationalised as part of British Shipbuilders.
The yard closed in 1982.
Shipbuilder: Brigham & Cowan, South Shields (1876 - 1982)
Above advert for Brigham & Cowan Ltd is copyright of Tyne and Wear Museums